Hey Stephen,

Your two drives are running in RAID-0 acting as one 76342 MB volume. It
has not changed to a RAID-1 volume, and cannot unless you delete your
data and re-configure the array.

There is no real advantage to using RAID-0 here, the only thing it gets
you is a couple extra megs for your Redhat-ltsp install. And you don't
have to re-install your windows OSes. If I was you I would remove the
RAID-0 array and setup my drives like this, however it does mean
re-installing windows.:

C   FAT16 200MB
D   FAT32 22G Win98/Win2000 dual boot machine
E   FAT32      remainder    For Win98/Win2000 data storage
F   Dedicated Linux Drive 40G For installation of RH8.0 and LTSP

Then use the GRUB boot loader to control booting to all 3 operating
systems.I use GRUB to boot between FreeBSD, Redhat, and XP on my home
workstation. It is quite nice.

If you wanted data redundancy, you would want to purchase two more
Maxtor 40GB drives. Then you could set up a RAID 0+1 array. What this
essentially does is seem like two are running two large drives mirrored.

Then you have a setup like this:
Pri Master:               Pri Slave:
40GB -> (Striped RAID-0) -> 40GB = 76324MB  Array A
Sec Master:               Sec Slave:
40GB -> (Striped RAID-0) -> 40GB = 76324MB  Array B

Then you setup:
Array A: 76324MB -> (Mirrored RAID-1) -> Array B: 76342MB  = 76342MB
Final Array with mirroring

You could move to this setup without affecting your current partitioning
scheme, however I bet redhat would still tell you have the same
partition table problem, but you would feel better knowing your data is
mirrored.

There are some tidbits pertaining to your RAID setup. Additionally here
is a URL with some information about the different RAID levels:
http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html

Hope that helps..

Now for your question about:

"The partition table on /tmp/hda is inconsistent..."

Maybe someone else on the list has more knowledge about this error but I
have gotten this in the past on Redhat installs.  I chose to continue
anyway and it worked just fine on some systems. On others the system was
unable to boot to redhat without a boot disk. Be sure that you make a
boot disk in case it dosn't install the boot loader correctly. I say
just give it a shot and see if redhat will boot... if not... then you
will probably have to frag your RAID-0 array and use the 40gb drives
independently.

PS: LTSP is an excellent piece of work, thank you Jim and everyone
else!!!

Casey Dinsmore
IT Director Vatyx, Inc.