On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, Chris & Christine wrote:

> By way of analogy: I can use windoze tsc to access a computer
> a hundred miles from my current position - it all appears in
> a window that contains what looks like the desktop of the computer
> that I'm accessing.
>
> Can I use ltsp to access a dedicated redhat server over the internet
> that lives a hundred miles away and use a windows machine
> as the client? Will I be able to use x-windows?

Yes, certainly.

You have a couple of options.

1)  Start the X server on your local machine with a
    '-query xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' option, where the x's are
    the IP address of your remote server.  This
    will give you a full session on your local desktop
    with all of the apps, including the window manager
    running on your remote server.

2)  Run Xnest on your local machine, again with the -query
    option pointing to your remote server.  This will give
    you a full session on youre remote server inside of a
    window on your local machine.   Everything inside the
    window will be running on the remote server.

3)  Use ssh to log into the remote server, and as long as
    you've got X forwarding turned on, you can run an X
    app on the remote server and the output will be displayed
    locally.

All of the above methods assume that your firewall and routing
is all setup to allow the X sessions to work.  Probably the safest
and easiest to configure is the #3 with ssh, as all of the X
traffic is tunneled through the ssh protocol.

And, there are probably lots of other ways, using things like
VNC and who knows what else.

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]