On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 08:50:08PM -0700, Kenneth Godee wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:41:53 +0800
> "Delz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm encountering large load average on my server that even reached up to 50.
> > I have a 1.8 Ghz Intel server w/ 6Gb RAM & w/ a gigabit ethernet that runs
> > kdm and connected to a switch and I have 55 workstations. I run Redhat 7.2
> > on my server. My question is how do I reduce the amount of load that the
> > server carries and is limiting users to the amount of processes executed
> > solve this problem?

You must investigate what processes takes most CPU, run "top". If you
with kdm means kde, then there is probably some things that can be
disabled (displaying the contents of moving windows, blinking clocks,
on the panel, etc)

> > What's the fastest window manager that can be run on
> > LTSP that doesn't brings too much load on the server, kdm, xdm, icewm?
> > Please help.
>
> Some comparison testing on your set up sounds in order.
> You'll get a lot of diff. responses to this question but.....
> Kdm and gnome are killers......
> I for one would run either Xfce or icewm. Icewm is quite cool.

kdm, xdm = display managers
gnome, kde, xfce = desktop environments
icewm, xfwm, kwin = window managers

Xfce and gnome need a window manager (as does kde but kde is always
used with the window manager from kde: kwin), so Xfce or icewm is not
the choice here. If you choose a desktop environment (other than kde)
you will also need to choose a window manager. kde and xfce comes with
a window manager: kwin and xfwm respectively, but other windowmanagers
work well also. E.g. on the user contribution screenshoot page of
xfce, there is an example of using the xfce panel and windowmaker. Or
take gnome, there exists a gnome-compliant version of icewm, so there
is no choice between icewm and gnome, gnome requires an external
window manager, e.g. icewm-gnome.

If the users like kde try to elminate CPU and network hogging
kde-applets or convince them that they like speed more than elegance
and consider xfce or no desktop environment at all.

> One of the biggest problems I keep seeing over and over is watch
> out for screen savers! I for one would configure nothing but a global "BLANK"
> screen saver only, for all users. Screen savers will drag a system/net down in a big
>way!

Ditto, screen savers other than "blank" should not be available to
users using terminals.

--

Hans Ekbrand, running twm...