what is the specific screen sabver you mention? Id like to play with your idea 8)

 Peter Billson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have found that many people associate a black screen with the computer being "off" and do not bother to tap a key or move the mouse to wake it up... they just start pressing power buttons. :-( Usually the order goes:
1) Press monitor power button (turning it off) and wait
2) Press monitor power button again
3) Either
a) having accidentally moved the mouse, the screen comes on, confirming
that the user followed the correct procedure
or

b) proceed to press the power button on the workstation (turning it off)
then move to next station because the first is obviously broken.

The standard screensaver programs do suck up a lot of horsepower and bandwidth so I have taken to replacing them with xloadimage to just slowly shuffle between a couple of small (file size) images that say "Press any key to start," "Welcome!" or
something like that. This consumes a small amount of bandwidth and CPU but it is an acceptable amount.

For one of my clients (a public library) we change the images from time to time to display up-coming events at the library so that the terminals that are not in use are little billboards.

The important thing is to make sure the images are the correct size (i.e. if your screen resolution is 800x600 make the images 800x600) so that xloadimage is not re-sizing the images each time.

Pete
--
http://www.elbnet.com
ELB Internet Service, Inc.