James Van't Slot wrote:
Hi all,

I have the latest LTSP running on Redhat 7.3.  I have several machines
that will not boot.  I do however have one that does.  Funny enough it
is the oldest of the bunch, an old 486/66.

None of the newer machines on the network seem to get past the:

Searching for server (DHCP)...
._

When I check /var/log/messages on the server, here is what I get...

Dec  1 15:25:22 bison dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:00:39:a7:46:3b via
Eth0
Dec  1 15:25:22 bison dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 192.168.5.104 to
00:00:39:a7:46:3b via eth0

And then nothing.  I should be seeing DHCPREQUEST coming from
192.168.5.104 and then a DHCPACK coming back from the server.
Just like it does with that old 486.

I suspect a problem with the DHCP config so I've included it here:
[snip]

We had a similar problem.  The newer machines were using pxe boot,
and in our case they were connected to a 10/100 switch with
tlan autosensing adapaters.  Apparently, the pxe bios wasn't
intellegent enough to negotiate to 100mbs.  So I changed the
machine bias settings to 100mbs/half-duplex as the default
mode and it worked fine.  After the linux kernel starts, it
goes through a proper discovery process and will choose
half/full duplex depending on what the switch supports.

Hope that's helpful.

Regards... Tim

--
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.

Tim Brodie, IT Manager:SysAdmin:S/W Developer, Display Works Inc.
90 Milvan Drive, Toronto, Ontario CANADA M9L 1Z6
Phone: 416-740-9677x290 Fax: 416-740-9971 http://www.displayworksinc.com