On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:22:54 -0500 (EST), [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Brian,
>
> The problem you are having with the blank screen in X windows is
> exactly the same problem, whether you are dealing with LTSP 2.x
> or LTSP 3.x.  This is a Server issue with your display manager.
> it makes no difference which version of ltsp.

    Yeah, and under 2.x I've solved such problems many times.  But this time it was
much harder.  The only thing I can tell that varies from my successful attempt to my
unsuccessful ones are the vast changes in LTSP, rather than Redhat.  The whole scheme
about configuring the xf86config files and starting them has changed.

> And the problem that I think you were having with booting via
> bootrom is indeed related to the newer versions of LTSP which
> require a kernel command line argument when used with the ISA
> network cards.  unfortunately, there was also a change in
> Etherboot (or was that mknbi) in the way it passes command line
> args to the kernel.  You are using some very old bootroms, and
> you aren't easily able to pass kernel args, unless you follow
> Jason Pattie's article on the ltsp.org contrib page, which shows
> how to use the old etherboot bootrom to load a newer bootrom
> image, which then loads the kernel and passes the parameters
> correctly.

    Yep, as I said: I read the FAQ and followed it..." but the $90 bootable card is
now a doorstop, unfortunately.  I had to drop back to kernels-on-floppy.  :(

> There are so many other reasons why LTSP 3.0 is easier.  Namely,
> if you are using a workstation with a PCI nic and a PCI video
> card, the setup is ENORMOUSLY simpler.  Just set XSERVER = auto
> and use the standard LTSP kernel and it all works.

   That's not what the stack of 25 466 PCs sitting in my garage are telling me. No
PCI.  And a early-model Pentium (Both ISA and PCI capable) only liked the kernel boot,
anyway.  :(

> And, if you do need to tweak the modelines or play with the
> resolution, LTSP-3.0 lets you specify either a full modeline
> on the X_MODE_0 entry, or just a resolution, such as '800x600'
> without all of the rest of the modeline.

    Yeah...during the attempt with a Jammin 125, I barely got it running
(640x480x8-16). And I downloaded a seemingly-undocumented file with a modeline in
it...not much help.

> And, LTSP-3.0 allows you to use a MAC address in the lts.conf
> file instead of the hostname or ip address.  This is handy
> when you want to use a pool of dynamic IP addresses in dhcp,
> instead of static addresses.

     Nah, I was just working on one server, one client. I work by getting a 'toe hold'
on functionality, and expanding on it.

> And, what are you gonna do when newer video cards and network
> cards show up ? For the NICs, you would simply need to build new
> kernels (which reminds me of that new years eve a couple years ago
> when I was building kernels and emailing them to you in chicago :)
> But, for the video cards, you will need XFree86 4.x, but LTSP-2.0
> only supports XFree86 3.3.6.

    Well, I'm gonna have to find a new way to do it, actually.

> And, LTSP-3.0 works with more peripherals, such as USB mice and
> printers.

    Yeah there's been a lot of work on this project.  It's come a long way since 2.x;
it's just a shame I can't get it to work here.  :(

> And, there are other benefits to 3.x vs 2.x, but I just don't
> remember them all now.
>
> So, if you really want fork the project and stick with LTSP-2.0,
> then by all means, go for it.  The GPL gives you that freedom,
> and I'm very happy that it does.  Just make sure you understand
> the work ahead of you, should you choose to exersize that freedom.

    Well, and if I get something you'd like to use on your side, you're free to
incorporate it, too!

    You guys have been nothing but helpful and friendly. But I've got to look
elsewhere for what I'm seeking.

    Thanks so much!