Hi List,

I've set up an LTSP server for a small 10-user telesales LAN. I'm still waiting for some real end-user testing on this one, but as far as I can tell everything appears to be working rather well so far.

The machine is a RH8.0 machine with the standard LTSP RPM installed (latest version)

Just one question - The default dhcpd.conf seemed unnecessarily complicated for what I wanted to achieve. I certainly didn't want to have to know the MAC addresses of all my machines before adding them to the LTSP LAN - what I really want to achieve is for ordinary users in the company to grab an LTSP floppy and just plug it in whenever they fancy, thereby slowly migrating away from Windows.

So, here's what I came up with for dhcpd.conf:

ddns-update-style ad-hoc;
subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
range 192.168.1.50 192.168.1.99;

default-lease-time 21600;
max-lease-time 21600;

option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;
option routers 192.168.1.1;
option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1;
option domain-name "mobiles.co.uk";
option root-path "192.168.1.14:/opt/ltsp/i386";
use-host-decl-names on;
option log-servers 192.168.1.14;
filename "/lts/vmlinuz-2.4.19-ltsp-1";

That gets you so far, but then X, and I think NFS complain about not seeing the machine in the hosts file (can't remember the exact error).

So all I did was add every single DHCP address to the hosts file, and gave it a name as shown below:

192.168.1.50 ws001
192.168.1.51 ws002
192.168.1.52 ws003
192.168.1.53 ws004
192.168.1.54 ws005
192.168.1.55 ws006
192.168.1.56 ws007
192.168.1.57 ws008
192.168.1.58 ws009
192.168.1.59 ws010
etc, etc, etc....

Not particularly elegant, but it did the trick. So here's my question: before I unleash my new LTSP beast upon my unsuspecting windows users - can anyone see any reason why this setup might cause problems?

I already have all the windows workstations picking up their addresses from this config quite happily, and the LTSP floppy-booting workstations also appear to be quite happy. Just thought I'd check though!

Thanks in advance,

Louis

--
Louis Sabet - IT Manager