Recall I first ran a ltsp_initialize script in which I modified the Red Hat
bits to accommodate Gentoo. I got as far as the gray screen with X cursor.

Then I installed David Snopek's unofficial Gentoo-based ebuild on top and
XFree86 reported no devices detected and no screens.

After exhausting all trouble-shooting suggestions, I did a recursive removal
on /tftpboot and /opt/ltsp and then a clean install of LTSP using Snopek's
ebuild. (Note: there's no ltsp_initialize script to run in this case; there
are no templates necessry.) I also changed the display manager from xdm to kdm.

I still don't have a graphical display, but now XFree is getting hung up on
not being able to write to /var/log/XFree86.0.log. Indeed, the log file is
not being written to (as it also wasn't with the prevous installs) although
syslog does have its remote option set and this is being acknowledged in the
console screen output.

I searched the mailing list but found nothing helpful about this log file.
The file's permisions are the same as all the other log files in /var/log so
it seems that it's available for being written to. I've not found any clues
on the XFree86.org web site and their discussion list is not searchable.

Does anyone know how this log file gets written?