From: Stuart Baird <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: LTSP Discussion list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 14:04:02 -0500
Subject: [Ltsp-discuss] Silent workstation

The AT power supply in my workstation kept getting noisier and noisier so
this morning I got fed up and replaced the fan. While I was at it, I hooked
it up at 6 volts instead of 12. I figure that my diskless workstation is not

drawing much power so why do I need such a powerful fan? That made it very
quiet, so quiet I could hear the CPU fan. Figuring what the hell, I took off

the CPU fan, put on a huge heatsink and underclocked the CPU (a K63+450 now
running at 300). I'm not running any local apps. So far the temps look good
and I have had no problems with my now completely silent setup.

I'm just wondering if this seems like a risky setup to anybody. I never
leave
the machine on unattended and so far it's running very cool. I don't care so

much about my workstation crashing, I'll notice if that happens, I'm more
worried about a potential fire or such.

Thoughts?

Stu