Hi

> The AT power supply in my workstation kept getting noisier and noisier so
> this morning I got fed up and replaced the fan. While I was at it, I hooked
> it up at 6 volts instead of 12. I figure that my diskless workstation is not
> drawing much power so why do I need such a powerful fan? That made it very
> quiet, so quiet I could hear the CPU fan. Figuring what the hell, I took off
> the CPU fan, put on a huge heatsink and underclocked the CPU (a K63+450 now
> running at 300). I'm not running any local apps. So far the temps look good
> and I have had no problems with my now completely silent setup.
>
> I'm just wondering if this seems like a risky setup to anybody. I never leave
> the machine on unattended and so far it's running very cool. I don't care so
> much about my workstation crashing, I'll notice if that happens, I'm more
> worried about a potential fire or such.

Not nice - here's how:

Server/Network/other problem ....
Workstation sits at bios screen not logging in ...
CPU temp soars
My 200M K6 underclocked to 100M reached 70C within 5 min.
Normal Workstation-running-X temp is < 40C

So I put a small resistor inline with 12V on the fans to drop voltage to
about 8V. (about 56R) RPM on the fans is +/- 2000 not 3000 Noise is down
90%.
Perth just had 2 days over 41C, inside it is 30C and the Server and Workstation
worst temps are < 50C.

(Actually my server HD is in a caddy. I connected the caddy fan because HD temp
was over 50C, but CPU is fine)
YMMV
James