Peter Childs wrote:

On Friday 17 January 2003 18:14, Werner Winter wrote:

Hello,
we set up a test terminal server and it worked well. So we want to buy a
new server hardware (about 15 KDE-terminals). Is the following ok?

Pentium4 2,4GHz (or is a dual pentium better?)
2GB RAM
SCSI-HD 36GB

Werner

I don't know but I have a similar problem. just slightly larger scale,
I also need to run a big municipal database on one of my servers using postgres.

I was thinking of
2 Servers, (Large Hard Disks) to store users files and database (they hopfully won't have that many files)

1 Application server to run the apps on running LTSP (mounting the users files over NFS)

That way everything that needs regularly backing up is on one set of servers and the application server can be a semi static image and if its too slow we can add a second (nearly identical similar machine)

I'm guessing this will work out that the Application server will need lots of memory, where as the file server will need lots of disk space. But only needs to be powerful enough to do the database and file handerling leg work.

I don't know wether thats the right way to go.

Is it worth trying to keep static apps aways from the applications on separate servers with LTSP?

Any Ideas?

The main thing I've discovered with LTSP is memory on the server. I have a Redhat 8.0 system setup that supports 15 workstations running KDE 3. Main use is a custom POS application and surfing the Internet.
The single (database, LTSP and application) server supporting all this is:

Pentium 3 (650 MHz). 384M RAM, 15G SCSI hard drive (RAID)

For the database side of things, decided to use MySQL (www.mysql.com). Very fast execution, small footprint and well supported in the Open Source community.

Ken Cobler