The best solution is to find your monitor's preferred sync rates at
their website, and then make sure you use these in your XFree86 config.
I went to www.hyundaiq.com and found my monitor's official sync rates (H
31-60, V 44-75), and promptly wrote them on the bottom of the base with
a Sharpie marker. :-)  If your sync rates are slightly above/below what
your monitor is expecting, it won't be able to auto-adjust to them, and
you'll get the weird fuzziness/stripes that you are seeing.
- Jake