Hi All,

I would like to make my users have access to some sort of graphical shell
/ filemanager (which term is more correct?)... Kind of like windows
explorer, only I don't want them to have easy access to the server's
directory tree.  (Since most of them are teenage kids and some of them
like to try and "break things") .

Any advice how to go about this?

<Shot in the dark>: Is it possible (and practical) to use Nautilus or some
other program and set it up in some sort of "chroot jail" (quoting from
Linux Magazine) so that they get a "My documents" window with correct file
associations (word docs to open office, jpgs to an image viewer, etc) but
no easy access to outside directories?  Anybody done this or can help me
figure out how to do it for several hundred users? (the practical aspect).

I'm currently running IceWM over GDM on RH 7.2.

I know they can find ways to get around something like this, but I'm just
trying to make it not so straight forward... while still providing for
some measure of convenience  O:-)

Thoughts?  TIA

David M. Leuser, II * Assistant Network Administrator
New Hampton School * PH/Fax Direct: (603) 677-3451
77 Main Street * New Hampton, NH 03256