Hi!

It's great to see that so many libraries are using LTSP now.  When I first
installed it in 2000 I don't think there were too many others using it.

Rod, have you read the article I wrote on using LTSP in libraries
(http://meadvillelibrary.org/os/ltsp.html)?  It's a little old (I keep
meaning to write a new one) but it has instructions on how to lock down IceWM
and get rid of its unnecessary features, and also how to use a script to
restart the browser if someone closes it.  I don't know if it's true with
newer browsers, but I found that with the Netscape 4.x series, if you didn't
use a window manager and configured the browser window to be 1024x768, when
the browser opened toolbarless popup windows, there was no way to get rid of
them.  Of course, this probably wouldn't be a problem in your catalog.

You can also use squid to prevent patrons from getting to the internet.  You
just make a text file with a list of permitted websites (one per line), then
add these lines to your squid.conf:

acl restricted_clients ident ws1 ws2
        (and so forth, I used ident because I wanted to limit 2 workstations to

certain reference websites; you could identify them by IP address instead, I
think you would have to use 'dstdomain' instead of 'ident'.)

acl catalog dstdom_regex "/etc/squid/your-list-of-catalog-urls"
        (if you are using IP's instead of urls change that to 'acl catalog dst
"/etc/squid/your-list-of-catalog-IPs")

http_access allow restricted_clients catalog

Then restart squid, and it should work.  Good luck!

Cindy

--
Cindy Murdock
Network Administrator