Hi

> ldrlsn> Subject: Re: [Ltsp-discuss] putting my users in jail?
> ldrlsn> Allthough your reasoning is correct of course, I do not agree that it is
> ldrlsn> not worth the effort.
>
> ldrlsn> By allowing users to sniff around in the system, they have a chance to
> ldrlsn> get all sorts of clues on how things really work,
> ldrlsn> which make it easier
> ldrlsn> to try an hack it. Information *is* a part of security, allthough one
> ldrlsn> cannot rely on ignorance of course.
>
> I disagree with you; I see no problem in letting people know how
> something works.  Too often I've seen FUD used.. as in "you will be
> suspended if you open an xterm".  And this is inexcusable.  A school
> is a place of learning.  That, however does not apply to the computers
> in which learning is strictly not allowed.
>
> I am not pointing fingers, I am saying in general, trying to do this
> sort of Windows-world locking down on a Linux system is a sign that
> the system administrator does not know what they are doing; if all
> proper patches are applied and things are properly secured, students
> should not be able to 'hack' a system.  If that happens, I blame it on
> the system adminstrator.

I second this concept. Show them everything, *most* unlikley that they will
achieve any hack, but have enough trust and shared responsibility so if
anyone *does* manage to break in, then they will confide in you, and you
will show suitable "well done" "now lets fix it".
James

PS I'd be fascinated to know if somebody hacks a decently secured system.
No paranoia, just secure root passwd, and standard non-trivial passwords.