George Gambill wrote:

> Don, a single (1) <crtl><alt>+ worked.  Please help me understand why this
> worked and how to properly setup based on the fact that a single
> <crtl><alt>+ worked.
>
> Thanks, George

That key combination simply selects another available monitor/graphics card
modeline, if available. Looks like your X config defaults to a modeline which
the
moitor does not support - and that there is at least one other mode line
supported
in X and (obviously) by your graphics card, that is OK for the monitor.

If your monitor cannot accept the higher frequency modeline which
is the default, you can specify one or more modelines for X to use, in
lts.conf.
I've seen posted on this list many times, pointers to modelines suitable for
lower-end monitors. Possibly the modeline you can already use is in your X
startup
file on the terminal. I can't offhand remember where this is but it's not hard
find - start up in run level 3 to look for it.

Probably what I would do is try modelines several at a time in lts.conf (see
docs
for that) and see which one works best. Then use it as the startup default.

I ran into this problem once myself - that's how I thought it might be worth a
try.

Don