We had exactly this problem with a VIA where we had made up our own
power supply.
We think it is a combination of voltages needing to be slightly higher
than specified
and there is also some sort of timing issue is the startup firmware. We
are still working
on it. In the meantime, we bought new Micr-ITX boxes complete with a
flying power supply
and that has worked reliably in the meantime.

John O'Gorman