Thanks very much for this suggestion. Indeed the
syslog.conf link was not present. I created it and
verified that /tmp/syslog.conf exists on the
workstation - it contains the line "*.*
@192.168.0.254" which is the correct IP address of the
server. Unfortunately, the workstation's screen still
reports the same error.

I've learned via the Gentoo forum that more people
than I'd known have had this same problem with the
3.0.7 version so I'm now going to follow advice urged
on that forum to emerge the 3.0.9 version although
it's still in testing.

David Johnston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 18:37, John Schatz wrote:
> Is this glitch in XFree or LTSP?
>

> Greetings all. I've "emerged" the current LTSP package for Gentoo
> (it's "ltsp-core-3.0.7-r1") and my LTSP thin client starts up fine in
> runlevel 3 but not in runlevel 5, the GUI mode. The error message
> printed to the console is simply "Fatal server error: Cannot open log
> file '/var/log/XFree86.0.log'". Please help me figure out if the
> problem is related to my LTSP installation or to some X config
> setting.

This error message suggests that your workstation's copy of syslogd is
trying to log to a file on the workstation. Most likely, you are
missing a link "/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/syslog.conf -> /tmp/syslog.conf"

If the link is there, make sure that /tmp/syslog.conf exists on the
workstation and contains a line "*.* @servername", where 'servername' is
the name of your server.
--
David Johnston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>