Hello anon permutation,
(sorry, but this does not entirely look like a real name, does it?)

> We have some decent diskless workstations(PIII w/ 128 or 256M), and we like
> to delegate as much work to them as possible to minimize bandwidth and
> server usage.  They pretty much just run our intranet Java App.

> My question is whether we can have each workstation runs its own copy of the
> Display Manager locally?  If so, how do I set this up?  Ideally,
> everything(Intranet Java App, Display Manager, X Server) will all run
> locally.  The workstations rely on the server only for boot and NFS
> functions.  Please help.

I'd expect this to be outside LTSP specs. Perhaps you just want to
install them locally, move the harddisk content to a NFS-share on the
server and make the kernel net-booted and root-over-nfs-aware. That's
not too hard... But it's not LTSP anymore.

Just to line it out:

1/ install linux onto a local hard drive on a client (which would only
be used temporarily, so just attach one flying-wires).

2/ Make every setting as you like it, especially get it running
completely reliably to exclude several factors in troubleshooting
later.

3/ Compile a kernel with NFS, NFS-root, ramdisk, initrd support
(That's not really needed, but who knows...), CONFIG_IP_PNP. You
probably have PCI network interfaces in your terminals. Compile
them into the kernel, *not* as modules. Anyhow, as few modules as
possible.

4/ Use that kernel to boot the client locally. Make it get an
ipaddress with dhclient (? If the eth0 is not yet configured by the
kernel) - For this step, dhcpd must run on the server

5/ On the server export a share, say, /diskless/terminal1/
with rw,no_root_squash for the ip of the terminal (best make them
fixed in dhcpd.conf). Copy the entire hard drive to that share (use cp
-dpvR or so, read the manpage *please*. Edit
/diskless/terminal1/etc/fstab to reflect that change.

6/ Use an etherboot floppy to netboot an NBI image of that kernel,
specify the appropriate nfsaddr= and nfsroot= options in dhcpd.conf.
It runs out of the box, I hope.

7/ Remove the harddrive (still having the etherboot floppy) and test
if it still runs.

You know you can go without a floppy if your NICs are flashed with
etherboot already or if they are PXE-enabled.

IAN (yet) A Linux-"consultant", and this is roughly what I tried long time
before. Beware of the bugs. No guarantee. You have been warned.
Well, I'd give it a shot. If you need further info, feel free to ask
me per private mail (though I'm away helping tearing down a flat in
Leipzig this weekend, fun & beer for free :-)

Best regards,
 Anselm Martin Hoffmeister
 Stockholm Projekt Computer-Service
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>