Anselm Martin Hoffmeister -

Thanks for the advice. But, now it will autologin to the console, but not a thin client! Where do I fix that?
Also, when I do log in as root, it automatically starts netscape, which is the behavior that I do want for the public user. It doesn't do that for public. Where do I look?

here is the end of kdmrc again:

[X-:*-Core]
AllowNullPasswd=true
AllowRootLogin=true
AllowShutdown=Root
AutoLoginSession=icewm
NoPassEnable=true
NoPassUsers=public

[X-:0-Core]
AutoLoginEnable=true
AutoLoginPass=public
AutoLoginSession=icewm
AutoLoginUser=public

[Xdmcp]
Enable=true
Willing=/usr/share/config/kdm/Xwilling
Xaccess=/usr/share/config/kdm/Xaccess

Thanks again for your help -

 Mark Ehle
 Computer Support Librarian
 Willard Public Library
 Battle Creek, MI

At 08:31 PM 7/8/2003 +0200, Anselm Martin Hoffmeister wrote:
Hello Mark,

> Hello, Folks -

> I am a complete LTSP newbie. I have installed the newest K12LTSP on Redhat
> 9.0 on a spare machine that I have, and I am having a blast playing with
> it. It works slick! My hat's off to whoever cooks this stuff up.

> My ultimate goal is to create a network of public Internet access terminals
> for our library that are unbreakeable. To that end, I have begun to try to
> tweak it toward having the clients log themselves in automatically. So far,
> I have had no luck. Following is my /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc.

You might consider using different usernames for each workstation.
This prevents problems with mozilla. Then, having a section for each
ws might be reasonable. Perhaps, one could use the $DISPLAY variable
alternatively, not having to specify a lot of section...?

Also you should look at the KIOSK howto in the ltsp contribs, allowing
you to kill all apps after a certain period of inactivity, so that
users will find a fresh destop whenever they come to an unused
terminal.

> What am I not doing/doing wrong?

Look into kdmrc. The autologin stuff now is in the X-:0-Core - Section.
Move it to the X-*-Core section (which does NOT ONLY affect the local
display). That could be the missing bit...

> Thanks!

> Mark Ehle
> Computer Support Librarian
> Willard Public Library
> Battle Creek, MI

> [...]
> # Core config for 1st local display
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> [X-:0-Core]
> # Enable automatic login on this display. USE WITH EXTREME CARE!
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> [X-ws001:-Core]
Perhaps you mean [X-ws001:0]-Core here?
> AutoLoginEnable=true
> AutoLoginUser=public
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] kdm]#

However, I'm no expert with kdm config. Just some guessing.

Best regards,
 Anselm Martin Hoffmeister
 Stockholm Projekt Computer-Service
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>