On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 04:49, garry saddington wrote:
> I am now trying one of these cards in my client. I have booted from floppy
> successfully and got the right rom image. I have 27c256 eeproms and have
> programmed the rom into one and tried to boot from it without any success. I
> have enabled the bootrom with a dos utility at 32k size. Is there anything
> that i have missed or does anyone have any suggestions?

This doesn't help much but: I've had RTL8139 (and B, C, D, etc.) cards.
The RTL8139C works, and the RTL8139D does not, in the same machine.
Same bootROM.  Boot floppy code works for both.  Linux rtl8139.c and
8139too.c driver works for both.  Multiple versions of Etherboot were
tried.  Multiple vendors/manufacturers were tried.  The RTL8139D cards
act as if they don't have a bootROM (ie. no Etherboot message), or the
Motherboard BIOS is set to not look for add-on ROMs.  Both C and D cards
have the same PCI vendor/model IDs.

And yes, we use 27c256 roms too.