tried.  Multiple vendors/manufacturers were tried.  The RTL8139D cards
act as if they don't have a bootROM (ie. no Etherboot message), or the

I have found 'budget' RTL8139 cards to be very sensitive to the types of ROM used. 27C512 EPROMs that work just fine in some A, B & C revision cards, do not work in other C & D cards. The latest batch I bought are branded Gembird and based on the RTL8139D. 27C512-12 EPROMs don't appear to work, but AT49F001-55 parts work just fine (if programmed off the card). I suppose the speed of the EPROMs may have something to do with it, but I don't know for sure.

All the best, Nial.