On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 02:29, Svein Erik Kro wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I wonder how I can remote control a users session on the server, not
> the client itself..
>
> What I want to do is:
> 1. Help the user with problems, and do it with remote control.
> 2. Let the user see what I do, or see what the user does.
> 3. Control it from another geographical location (3hr with airplane)
>
> Anyone got any ideas?

Svein Erik,
VNC will allow you to do this.

VNC has the added advantage of allowing a user to sign out without
ending a session, so programs can continue to run.  This can cause its
own problems, however.

VNC has a few inconveniences, though.

1. Programs cannot move from one Xdisplay to another, so your users will
need to either a) run all of their programs on the Xvnc display or b)
restart the problem program on the Xvnc display when they need help.

2. You won't be able to see the student's cursor, and he won't be able
to see yours.  You will see the results of each other's mouse movements.

-David