On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Sawan Gupta wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
> But we have extra machines that we would like to use as a Network Load
> Balancing.
>
> Currently we cannot arrange to buy a new RAM and also in near future we
> will be increasing the number of nodes to 100+. In that case we would
> not prefer a single point of failure (I mean a single server).
>
> What in that case can be done?

You need more RAM.

You would be better off cannibalising your "extra machines" for their RAM
than adding them on the network.

Rule of thumb - the server needs 256Meg + (users x 50Meg).

You do not even have 256Meg.

/After/ you have added more RAM, you can add more machines, with
about 1Gig RAM per machine.

I NFS-mount home directories off a file server, the file-server also
runs an LDAP (authentication) server, and run "X -query", which
instead of giving them a login screen, gives them a chooser. A chooser
lists all the servers on the network - and shows how busy each of
them is - they pick one - usually the lightest loaded one.

First - you need more RAM.

Cheers,  Andy!