Hi,
I have the "Respawning too fast" problem in my ltsp installation, which is on a Compaq Proliant (Xeon 2.2, 1Gb Ram, 3X36Gb Disks with Raid) with Debian 3.0, kernel 2.4.22 and ltsp 3.0.

I have gdm as display manager and the problem occur intermittently and ONLY after a Session disconnection (via CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE or Disconnect button in login screen), i.e. the boot and first connection with the server is always successful.

To reproduce the fault I have stressed the client (and the server) forcing the termination and restarting of the session with CTRL-ALT-BS a few times.

In my /var/log/daemon.log I can see the following:

[...]gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal error -restarting 192.168.1.100
This is IP of the client.
When this message occur one or two times, the client (with some delay) restart effectively; when the messages occurs five (or so) times then the result is:
[...]192.168.1.100 init: ID "9" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
or in another occasion:
[...]gdm_child_action: aborting display 192.168.1.100:0.

On the client side I can see the following:
AUDIT: client 1 rejected from IP 192.168.1.254 port XXXXX.

Any thought?

Thanks in advance

Andrea Benetton