On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Dave Bakshani wrote:
> > > With WEP disabled on my Netgear AP, my notebook has no trouble connecting
> > > to the network, obtaining an IP address and starting up as a LTSP client
> > > running X. Once I enable 128 bit WEP on my AP however, the notebook is
> > > unable to obtain an IP address from the DHCP server when booting up, and
> > > ends in a kernel panic. I have verified that I entered the correct key in
> > > the key="" line in my wireless.cfg file on my boot diskette.
> > >
> > > Judging by the blinking activity light on my NIC, it appears that my NIC
> > > is unable to make a connection with my AP, and therefore unable to
> > > request an IP address from the DHCP server.
> > >
> > > Running Knoppix on this same notebook, I have verified that my NIC can
> > > get an IP addy from the DHCP server if I first issue a "iwconfig eth0 key
> > > xxxxxxx" followed by the "pump" command.
> > >
> > > My only guess is that perhaps when booting with the wireless_ltsp
> > > diskette, the iwconfig command is not being issued before a DHCP request.
> >
> > Perhaps cardmgr is not running before the iwconfig command.  This would
> > make the command invalid as the pcmcia modules would not have loaded yet,
> > so there would be no device to configure.
> >
> Thanks for your feedback, shogunx. Would you have any idea how to verify if
> what you have suggested is the case in the wireless_ltsp-3.0.5 package, and
> if so, how to fix it? Thanks.

Well, sequence of events occur as follows for non wep:
cardmgr initializes pcmcia devices.
wlan0 is set in /etc/network/interfaces to dhcp
wlan0 requests an ip address via dhcp.
ping, ping, happy, happy.

this is what happens with knoppix.

it looks like the kernel in ltsp_wireless has orinoco drivers statically
compiled, as well as pcmcia drivers.

it looks like you could modify /etc/network/interfaces in initrd.img
to add wireless_key xxxxxx to the wlan0 conf, then rebuild the initrd.img.

this will set the key as soon as the interface is initialized by cardmgr,
and should allow proper dhcp transactions.

i'm sure the main developers of ltsp_wireless will correct any logic
errors here, as I have not dissected their work in depth.

Scott