On Wednesday 22 October 2003 09:51, shogunx wrote:

> > > Perhaps cardmgr is not running before the iwconfig command.  This would
> > > make the command invalid as the pcmcia modules would not have loaded
> > > yet, so there would be no device to configure.
> >
> > Thanks for your feedback, shogunx. Would you have any idea how to verify
> > if what you have suggested is the case in the wireless_ltsp-3.0.5
> > package, and if so, how to fix it? Thanks.
>
> Well, sequence of events occur as follows for non wep:
> cardmgr initializes pcmcia devices.
> wlan0 is set in /etc/network/interfaces to dhcp
> wlan0 requests an ip address via dhcp.
> ping, ping, happy, happy.
>

> this is what happens with knoppix.
>
> it looks like the kernel in ltsp_wireless has orinoco drivers statically
> compiled, as well as pcmcia drivers.
>
> it looks like you could modify /etc/network/interfaces in initrd.img
> to add wireless_key xxxxxx to the wlan0 conf, then rebuild the initrd.img.
>
> this will set the key as soon as the interface is initialized by cardmgr,
> and should allow proper dhcp transactions.
>
> i'm sure the main developers of ltsp_wireless will correct any logic
> errors here, as I have not dissected their work in depth.
>
> Scott

I finally got WEP working!! Thanks for your pointers, Scott!

First thing I did was use loadlin to make the notebook boot wireless_ltsp off
the hard drive instead of the floppy, so I didn't have to wait the minute or
so it took to boot off the floppy. This step wasn't necessary to making
things work, but I just wanted to save time on boots.

Next I went poking around in initrd.img and put in some debugging statements
to try to narrow down exactly what was causing WEP not to work. GZipped the
thing back up and tried using the new initrd.img to boot. I realized that
part of the problem now was that it was unable to find the wireless.cfg file
in my c:\loadlin directory. I moved wireless.cfg to c:\ and added
"BOOTDEV=hda1" to the arguments passed to boot loader. Now it finds
\wireless.cfg on the root dir of my hdd, configures my NIC properly and I
have my notebook connected to the LTSP server using WEP. I am pleased!

Not being the kind of guy to just let things be, I decided to go back and take
a closer look booting with the original initrd.img in wireless_ltsp-3.0.5. I
now realize that WEP failed because modprobe is complaining about not being
able to find modules. One of the modules it cannot find is vfat, so it can't
mount fd0 or hda1, and therefore it cannot locate wireless.cfg.

I didn't add any files to initrd.img, so I'm guessing that simply gunzipping
it and gzipping it back up again fixed it. Perhaps someone can verify or
correct my theory.

Thanks again for your help, Scott.

Dave