> Hi,
> I probably will build another LTSP lab.
> 13 PCs, that will need GUI. I will probably use wmaker, and install open
> office, GIMP, browser for internet connection some tools to manage printing,
> floppies and maybe local sound.
> Assuming all of them will be used in the same time (it's a school) what
> kind of server do you suggest to use? Is better to use two servers instead
> of one? I work with a lab with 8 PCs and the "server" is a common desktop
> PC with 256Mb RAM and all works fine.
>
> I would like to have suggestions about good server hardware to use. Like
> is better a Pentium or an Athlon XP? One processor? Two processor? How much
> RAM? The harddisks, SCSI? ATA 7200RPM? Is it better to buy an Asus Server
> or is it better to build it by myself?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
> Enrico

Hi, there...

>From my experience:

Processor - I'd rather use Intel... Athlon XP may even be faster (although I
don't think it is), but Pentium IV don't have problems with overheating...
I've lost a few Athlon XP processors just because the cooler was dirty.

For 13 workstations, you won't be needing two processors. Only one processor
(Pentium IV 1.8 or 2.0 would be fine, I think) will do the job.

The RAM is the main piece here. The minimum I would recommend is
128+(32xWorkStations). In your case, it shows me 544... I would do with 768
MB DDR RAM (DDR is way faster than DIMM). But the more you can afford, the
better.

SCSI is good, but too expensive. If you can afford the difference, I would
recommend Serial-ATA (pretty fast)... but ATA 7200RPM would be fine too.

And... i would build the PC myself! Asus servers are good, but you lose
flexibility.

You're welcome,
Danilo