Thank you for the response.  I hope the following answers your question.

The problem is there is an existing DHCP and PXE server setup.  I cannot
make any changes to the DHCP infrastructure for various reasons and I cannot
replace the PXE software for the same reasons.  The PXE server is the 3Com
PXE server that comes with Ghost 8.0.  All of the PCs are set to network
boot.  The PCs download a menu with three options, one of which is to boot
the local hard drive which has windows xp installed on it.

The 3Com PXE server software can read a floppy disk, make an image of it,
and allow PCs to network boot from it.  If I make the floppy using
rom-o-matic the PC will just download the menu from the 3Com PXE server.  If
I can make the kernel small enough to fit on a floppy I can use the existing
software to make a bootable image and add it to the existing menu.
Basically I want the PCs to be able to dual-boot windows xp and Linux
without having Linux installed locally.  The new menu, if everything works
out, will have one option to boot the local hard drive with windows xp and a
second option to download the disk I am trying to make and connect to the
LTS.

So do you have any suggestions on how to make a small kernel?

Jason