On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Jason Dravet wrote:

> Thank you for information.  Unfortunately I am unable to do this.  I am
> unable to make any changes to the DHCP infrastructure; this includes adding
> a DHCP server even if it is not listen on the standard port.  I have
> modified the config file from ltsp_initrd_kit to include what I think is the
> absolute minimum for a ltsp client kernel.  I will add only the options that
> are set to the end of this message.  If an option is not listed below it was
> commented out in the .config file I used and deleted for this posting.  I
> compiled the new kernel and it boots, but it does a kernel panic VFS unable
> to mount root fs on 01:00
>
> The new kernel is about 950K.  I am trying to figure what I need to do to
> get the kernel to boot without an initrd.  I am using the 2.4.25 kernel.  Do
> I need to apply the forcedeth, nfs-swap, and supermount patches in the
> ltsp_initrd_kit?

None of those patches are required.

the forcedeth is for a certain gigabit NIC, I forget which one.
the nfs-swap is to allow you do do swapping over nfs.  If you have
limited ram in the workstation, you might want this patch.
The supermount is for some stuff we are doing for local device
usage.  You don't need it.

If you don't want to use an initrd, you will need to make sure you
set the options for doing NFS-Root, and also you might need
ip-autoconfig.

But, why NOT use an initrd ?  It doesn't need to take up much space.
You could start with the ltsp_wireless package, and eliminate the things
you don't need, like pcmcia, and the dhclient.  That alone will probably
make it small enough to fit on a floppy disk.

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]