On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Brian Payst wrote:

> Could you run a second DHCP server? If your router/firewall will allow
> you to register MAC addresses for DHCP then you could have both coexist.
>
> Don't put the MAC addresses of the thin clients into the firewall
> appiance, but do put them into your second (LTSP) dhcp server. Set the
> second (LTSP) one to not-authoritative and all your DHCP clients should
> be able to coexist happily. The non-LTSP ones will get their info from
> the firewall appliance and the LTSP clients will get theirs from the
> LTSP DHCP server (which could also be the LTSP server itself).

There are 2 ways I can see a problem here.

1) The firewall could sound out a DHCPNAK, which will cause the
   thin client to stop.

2) The firewall could send out a DHCPOFFER with an IP address,
   which the client will happily accept, and it still won't have
   a root-path, so you are still hosed.

You could muck around with vendor-strings in the dhcp server, but
chances are, if you can't specify a root-path, you probably can't
do much else with it either.

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]