Am Samstag, 27. März 2004 12:43 schrieb garry saddington:
> On Friday 26 March 2004 21:35, Adrian Kuepker wrote:
> > Our installed user-base is increasingly nicely here, and I need to be
> > able to assign a default printer on a per-machine in LTSP. Many of the
> > PCs have a local printer attached, and most of the rest have their own
> > workgroup printer.  The various offices are still within the same
> > subnet, but many are locationally isolated or are staff which do not
> > necessarily understand things like modifying LP commands or the bash
> > prompt.
> >
> > Is there any way to send this information to their KDE sessions via the
> > LTSP config files? While it's possible to do so via the bash_profile
> > and/or bashrc, I'd like to avoid doing this, as that would add yet
> > another file that needs to be changed each time a terminal is switched
> > out or moved.
>
> I have a similar problem. I want to restrict access to certain printers so
> that print jobs are not sent to the wrong printer - these kids are sending
> print jobs all over the place! For example if they are working in room 22
> say,  I would like the machines there to only see the printer in that room.
> Setting access on a per user basis is realy out of the question when there
> are nearly 900 of them. can anyone point me in the right direction?
> regards
> garry

I'd try this:
Create a group named "prn<number>" for each printer. Setup each printer with
cups so only users that are members of that group may print on this printer.
Then change the Xsession script such that a user is kicked out of every prn
group at logon, then added to the one group that he belongs to (which can be
determined by having a look at DISPLAY environment variable).

Hint: Though I did not find any mention of it, specifying @groupname instead
of any username in /etc/cups/printers.conf (or with the lpadmin command)
seems to work as expected.

If you get something reasonable out of this, please document it.

Regards

Anselm