Adrian Kuepker wrote:

Our installed user-base is increasingly nicely here, and I need to be able to assign a default printer on a per-machine in LTSP. Many of the PCs have a local printer attached, and most of the rest have their own workgroup printer. The various offices are still within the same subnet, but many are locationally isolated or are staff which do not necessarily understand things like modifying LP commands or the bash prompt.

Is there any way to send this information to their KDE sessions via the LTSP config files? While it's possible to do so via the bash_profile and/or bashrc, I'd like to avoid doing this, as that would add yet another file that needs to be changed each time a terminal is switched out or moved.

We're running LTSP3 under Mandrake 9.2 with KDE3.1 & CUPS.

Hi Adrian

I have the same problem. I use the enviroment variable PRINTER. PRINTER
is used from lpr to identify the printer. see man lpr. I set PRINTER in
the /etc/profile:

case $DISPLAY in
 pc??220*|172.16.1.*) PRINTER=ps_220 ;;
 pc??222*|172.16.2.*) PRINTER=ps_222 ;;
esac
exort PRINTER

ps_220 and ps_222 are our printers. Make a pattern for your Hostnames
or/and IPs in the case statement. This works fine under LTSP3 and RedHat
9 with Gnome, KDE, WindowMaker and Blackbox on our LTSP. With IceWM
don't work, the variable PRINTER are not set ?:-/ So i copy the case
statemant in /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/IceWM. I don't use cups but the old
LPRng.

Happy Hacking!
Karl

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: IBM Linux Tutorials Free Linux tutorial presented by Daniel Robbins, President and CEO of GenToo technologies. Learn everything from fundamentals to system administration.http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=1470&alloc_id=3638&op=click _____________________________________________________________________ Ltsp-discuss mailing list. To un-subscribe, or change prefs, goto: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/ltsp-discuss For additional LTSP help, try #ltsp channel on irc.freenode.net