On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 13:41, Chris Hallgren wrote:
> Is there any way to get an installation from CD to not require CD insertion
> for every tiny sub-program to be installed? I went to install three items,
> and it took over fifty clicks on OK to re-insert the CD. Drake RPM is even
> more difficult. And there is no progress report. Are there any linux install
> programs that use some intelligence to group the items to install.

Learn to use your distribution's package manager from the command line.
Very few time investments will pay off as well for you.

Since you mention "Drake RPM," I'm guessing that you're using Mandrake.
IIRC, Mandrake uses RPM to manage its packages.  The problems you are
seeing are caused by the GUI front end, not RPM.

Assuming that I'm correct in thinking that your system uses RPM, look at
'man rpm' on a terminal, and learn to use RPM from the command line.
Here are a couple of useful examples:

$ rpm -qf /bin/bash             # Which package owns /bin/bash?
$ rpm -qa                       # List all installed packages
$ rpm -q fubar                  # Which version of fubar is installed?
# rpm -i fubar-1.6.i386.rpm     # Install fubar
# rpm -i --aid fubar-1.6.i386.rpm  # Install fubar & its prerequisites
$ rpm -V fubar                  # Verify fubar (list missing or changed files)
# rpm -e fubar                  # Uninstall ('e'rase) fubar

-David