I have the server running fine and connecting thru a client. Victory!
The problem I have now is that the mouse connected directly to the
server has gone nuts. When I move the mouse it keeps jumping back to the
bottom left hand corner of the screen and it selects things seemingly
randomly. I have tried rebooting and using other mice but the problem
persists.

I can log on as root thru the client and do things, but I would like to
know how to fix this problem with the server. I suspect a reistall would
fix the problem, but I was hoping there was another way.