I have been playing with K12LTSP 4 with the Fedora 1 core.

Very Very nice!

I think it will be perfect for my school lab environment. So much so that I already convinced the board to let me do it.

Some questions

I do not like ICEWM at all and because I got a fairly robust server with plenty of memory I don't believe I will need to resort to it. I have tried Gnome but like KDE better. But when I log into a workstation with KDE I lose all the programs listed under Education. How do I move that to KDE?

Second What is everyone's opinion of OpenOffice vs StarOffice 7? OpenOffice actually looks nicer than StarOffice does. StarOffice does not appear to have invested much time in the look of the interface, if you know what I mean. But StarOffice is free to download for schools, so it has more, right? What am I missing out on if I stay with OpenOffice?

If I go to StarOffice, and install it on the terminal server while logged in as root, will users who log into workstations have access to it? This is a big question. I do not want to have to do something long and complicated to get it to everyone's desktop. (I have upwards of 200 users! Not all at the same time though:))

Lastly, I teach to levels of programming now, a lower level course using Visual Basic, and a high level course in Java. The Java will be no problem at all, but something close to Visual Basic in linux might. the word Visual says it all. VB is virtually point and click when one is designing the form/application leaving student's minds free to tackle the more complicated concepts of coding itself, not the look of the application. What is out there with a similar feel to VB, if there is anything out there?

thanks for the info