I keep having lots of crashes, too.  Funny enough, it only happens on my thin
clients (Jammin 125's), not several stations that actually boot their own
Linux and simply query the X server, which makes me think it might be
something in the LTSP kernel.

I enabled NFS swap, and that helped for a while, and I also changed the gdm
ping timeout, which seemed to make a bit of a difference, but nothing has made
the problem go away.

These constant crashes have been the situation for over six months.  I tried
checking whether it was RAM leakage by telnetting to the client, but never
came up with anything at all.

K12LTSP 4.0.1 (Fedora Core 1, LTSP 4.0)
Athlon XP 3000
2 GB DDR, 512MB swap (almost never uses much swap)
9 workstations (incl 6 Jammin 125's)
2 60GB drives (but no RAID)
DFI Lanparty KT400A motherboard
10/100 3Com switch