I am reposting this as my first attempt was blocked, awaiting moderator
approval

This is what I have accomplished so far.

32 workstations connecting to K12LTSP server,
all my users added,
Python with IDLE, and Java with Netbeans added and usable for my
programming classes,
OpenOffice usable by all workstations,
various other programs loaded and functional,

BUT,

I cannot get sound fully functional on the IBM 300PL 6562 workstations.

I have modified the lts.conf file.  Here are the lines I have
added/modified

sound = y
sound_daemon = esd
smodule_01 = soundcore
smodule_02 = sound
smodule_03 = ad1848
smodule_04 = uart401
smodule_05 = "cs4232 irq=5 io=300 dma=3"

I left out the references for synthirq= and synthio= because I have no
idea what to set them for.

without them I can play a wav file.  I cannot play an mp3 file even
though it calls up Music Player when I double click on an mp3

I cannot go to a website with sound and hear the sound

It is my understanding that the Crystal sound card onboard the IBM 300PL
6562 grabs itsp resources during boot up.  By experimenting I hit on the
right combination of irq and io settings.  synthio and synthirq I have
no idea.

What am I doing wrong?  Can anyone help me?  Everything else in my
K12LTSP rollout for the fall seems to be going well but the kids will
crucify me if they can't hear sounds/play games with sound/listen to
music

HELP please.  Someone must have run across this workstation before and
learned the right settings