Peter,

I'd say not normal at all.

Even with that hardware, i'd expect the whole boot process to take no
more than about 45 seconds.

I see you are using a 10mbit card.  First thing i'd look for is a
problem with the negotiation between the card and the switch.

You could try to cycle the power on the switch.  If you are lucky,
that will clear up the problem.

It could be an issue with the server talking to the switch at 100mbit,
and the workstation talking to the switch at 10mbit.  The switch needs
to buffer the packets, and the ack might not be getting back to the
server in time.  In this case, i'd try a different switch, to see if
it works any better.

keep in mind that the network traffic during bootup is much greater than
it is during normal operation.  that could be why it is appearing to
work ok once it is booted.

On the server, you should look at the output of:

    ifconfig eth0            (or eth1, depending on your setup)

see if you are getting lots of packet errors or collisions.

Hope that helps,

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]