I have LTSP 4.1 installed with the sound package and everything works
very well with LTSP clients booting off the network.

Unfortunately, if I try to log into the same server with an X terminal
that is not sound-enabled (eg Hummingbird Exceed running on an XP box)
there are huge delays just after logging on and each time I start a
shell.  If I uninstall the sound package, everything works properly.

I do want sound, but I don't want to wait 15 minutes to log on from some
clients.  Is there a way of specifying which clients the sound server
should attempt to connect to?