Lanman,
As you have noted the clients depend on the server running XFS (the font server) and KDM (the display manager) but that does not mean you need to have KDM manage the display of the server (your CPU problem).

   1) Start XFS as you have been. No changes needed.

2) KDM is a display manager which starts your X session once you log in. KDM is configured by default to manage to your local display (:0) and not remote displays. You've added the management of remote displays, now you need to disable the management of the local display.

The KDM service still needs to run on the server just not start the greeter on the server's display.

I am not a Mandrake user so I am not sure where Mandrake puts the kdm config "stuff." Someone?

Pete -- http://www.elbnet.com ELB Internet Service, Inc. Web Design, Computer Consulting, Internet Hosting

Lanman wrote:
Still no luck with X folks. I've tried everything I can think of, but it's just not making any sense. The only way to get a desktop on a terminal is to start XFS and KDM on the server at which point the terminals get a login box right away.

Otherwise I either get the infamous gray screen (haven't seen that one for several hours now), or I get a server failure say that it "could not init font path element" and/or couldn't find default font 'fixed'.

Is there an easier way to get this working? I've even tried the instructions for configuring the X-Server from the set of instructions on the site at http://www.ltsp.org/contrib/ltsp-xfs-howto-en.html and nothing seems to work.

Is there a particular version of LTSP that is more widely used than 4.1 on Mandrake? I could really use a bit of help with this one.

TIA