OK I solved this after much googling and searching on HP.

You MUST apply the following HP BIOS patch before Linux can boot via
PXE:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/thinclients/us/download/21999.html

I guess in time HP will ship the updated BIOS but this problem still
exists in t5515's shipped just last week.

Yes - you need windows to unzip the file, then you need to copy a few
files to the supplied linux flash image and reflash the thin client's
BIOS.

After that it works a dream!

Regards

Phil