Hi all,

I'm building a network based on LTSP.  At the moment, everything works
perfectly, but the large number of Thinstations that there
are (approx. 40), the CPU load on the server is very high.

Because of this I've decided to execute the heavier applications (OpenOffice
and Netscape) directly on the Thinstations, currently
they are P3 machines with 128-192Mb.

I've been able to see from the documentation, the way to do this is to
configure NIS to synchronize the user information and execute
by ssh the applications.  Are there other ways to do it?  I haven't found
any alternative.

My problem is to configure the primary server as an NIS server and it works
correctly but I don't know how to configure the
Thinstation so that they authenticate against this server.

In theory, one would simply specify it in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf:

[Default]
        SERVER             = 192.168.1.1
        XSERVER            = XF86_SVGA
        X_MODE_0  = 800x600
        X_MOUSE_PROTOCOL = "Microsoft"
        X_MOUSE_DEVICE = "/dev/ttyS0"
        X_MOUSE_RESOLUTION = 400
        X_MOUSE_BUTTONS    = 2
        USE_XFS            = N
        SCREEN_01       = startx
        SCREEN_02       = shell
        LOCAL_APPS      = Y
        NIS_DOMAIN      = ltsp
        NIS_SERVER      = 192.168.1.1
Testing this, when I try to launch an application with the Thinstation to
execute it "locally" using:

# ssh thinhost2 env DISPLAY=192.168.1.2:0.0 netscape

I connect to the machine but I can't authenticate.  It's as if it can't find
the user and password.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jesus