> The problem is, of course, that your raid controller might not support
> it. And the differences aren't that great (as you can see), so it's not
> really worth spending money on (however, if the RAID controllers are
> much more expensive than plain controllers, and you have a decent CPU,
> go for software RAID instead and save some money).

Another plus to software raid is data portability.  Consider that down the
road you might be moving from Intel Pentium to Itanium.  Your hardware
RAID controller may not work or be supported on your new platform.
Now what?  The data on the drives is stored in a proprietary format which
probably cannot be read unless you have a functioning controller.  Your
only path would be to have the data tranfered via a dump/restore or
some alternative method (network?).

If you use the native Linux software RAID, chances are very high that
you can simply unplug the drives from one system and move them to the other.

Of course, I'm not including the OS partitions and kernel binaries in this
example as that is a whole different compatability problem.

Performance is one consideration when comparing software versus hardware.
However consider that on i86, Linux software RAID is implemented in the
MMX processor (as best I know), so impact is minimal.

-christoph