Hi James,

Thanks for your input.

Dan

nothing below is unexpected, or strange. Please tell us what you are
trying to do, then we can answer more correctly.

I am in the process of re-building my home system and it _was_ working fine. FireFox would startup on the clients and running "sudo emerge world" would update Gentoo. The only difference was that I formatted the server with ReiserFS.

For example, normally, you can't run firefox from the client, you can
run it from the server and DISPLAY the results on the client.

That's right, FireFox was supposed to be running on the server and supposed to display on the client but it would not work with a simple "firefox" from a terminal.

Likewise, normally, the client is not running a X session so you cant
ssh the server and run remote X, but when you can, you would normally
run ssh -X server.

So to answer your questions, what are you trying to do 'normally'

I wanted to get it working the way it used to work--transparently. As if I was sitting in front of the server.

James

Here is an update. The server had a severe hard drive failure. ReiserFS saved most of the files, but stupid me, instead of backing up when I had the chance I ran some of the ReiserFS programs to "fix" the drive and ended up losing _all_ of files.

This time when rebuilding the system I put the ltsp server on one system (a fanless 600Mhz VIA personal mail/web server) and pointed lts.conf to use an AMD64 box as the server. I just got it up and running and everything seems fine.

Now if I can only figure out what to do about the:

syslogd: cannot write to remote file handle on 192.168.1.10:514

Issue when the servers are using syslog-ng.

--Dan

I've got an odd problem. Here is what happens when starting Firefox from the client:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] dfort $ firefox
/opt/firefox/mozilla-xremote-client: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/
lib/libesd.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Unknown error 127 from mozilla-xremote-client
/opt/firefox/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libesd.
so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Firefox works fine on the server and the missing files are in the right location.

Now the strange part. If I ssh into the server:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] dfort $ ssh mariachi
Password:
Last login: Thu Dec 23 00:06:53 2004 from mariachi.digiola.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED] dfort $

It would seem that the nothing different should happen -- but --

[EMAIL PROTECTED] dfort $ firefox
X Error of failed request:  BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
 Major opcode of failed request:  20 (X_GetProperty)
 Atom id in failed request:  0x6b
 Serial number of failed request:  168
Unable to connect to X server

(firefox-bin:21852): Gdk-WARNING **: Error converting from UTF-8 to STRING: Coul
d not open converter from 'UTF-8' to 'ISO-8859-1'

That error message repeats 45 times then Firefox launches!

Another oddity is that I'm running Gentoo on the server and installing software using portage doesn't work unless I first ssh into the server. In other words, "su -" isn't enough even though everything else (except for the Firefox behavior) seems to work fine.

By the way, the server is an AMD64 Gentoo system but LTSP-4.1 was installed with the new LTSP installer--not portage. (The LTSP install seems to be broken in portage at the moment.)

Any clues what is going on?