Am Donnerstag, 20. Januar 2005 13:22 schrieb Mischa:
> Hi
>
> We are starting to integrate an LTSP environment in a company. I've already
> installed an LTSP-Server(4.1) for testing with debian without any Problems.
> Thanks for the good documentation!
>
> Now to my question:
> Is it possible to encrypt the traffic of X11 (vpn/ssh tunnel/etc.)?

In principle you can tunnel any X11 traffic with ipsec, pptp, whatever you
like. This could come in handy in a situation where, between a client side
and a server side there is an untrusted link, say, over the internet. In that
case you could setup any regular VPN and just tunnel the X11 traffic through.
You probably need a DHCP server on the client side though as DHCP usually is
not tunneled through VPNs. For saving traffic costs on the link you'd also
want to run a TFTP server on the client side, and if you can, also a NFS
server. This could result in the processing power machine doing X apps only
while NFS, TFTP and DHCP come from another machine, which is perfectly
possible with LTSP and should be easy to do according to the manuals. This
does not address the IPSEC part though, which for me personally will prove
more difficult. You could use some machine (non-LTSP) as ipsec gateway, which
is connected to one or more slaves and handles the other client-side services
as well.

Running IPSEC right from the terminals is not standard right now and probably
needs larger manipulations in the initial ramdisk. Once there's a kernel 2.6
ramdisk (with in-kernel ipsec support), this will not be as difficult anymore
as it would be right now. However, it's not there as a package quite now. So
running the client-side gateway probably is what you want.

> I've
> tried to tunnel it with ssh but this doesn't work (i think because xdmcp
> uses tcp and udp ports).

You cannot use SSH for the UDP usage of XDMCP. You could perfectly well ssh
from the terminal to the computing power machine with   ssh -X 192.168.0.1
and then run the apps through the ssh tunnel, but that does not work with a
login screen as that needs XDMCP.

> Another way is to integrate any software that
> tunnels tcp and udp. Is there any package available that would fit my
> needs?

Google for IPSEC. You probably want, by now, the kernel-2.6 internal ipsec
mechanism, which seems to be fairly easy to setup for someone who knows his
way through Linux networking. Perhaps your distribution already comes with
lots of handy tools.

Regards,

Anselm