John:

Slackware 10.0 is a great foundation for LTSP. I've not used LTSP on any other distributions, but we've used Slackware solely since we started out LTSP project, about a year ago now, and its excellent.

I got started with Linux years ago with Slackware 3, so when it came time to getting back into Linux, Slackware was my first choice. We recently had 30 clients going on our latest server for a weekend event we did, and the server didnt bat an eyelash.

The only disadvantage to Slackware and LTSP is that the installation scripts of LTSP cant set everything up automatically. There are a few items that have to be configured manually -- but thats just because Slackware does things a bit differently than most of the other distributions. But its not difficult to setup, the manual parts. I've been saying that when I find some spare time I am going to write up some information on the Wiki about installing LTSP on Slackware -- and I definately am going to, soon. If you do try to install LTSP on Slackware and run into any problems, drop us a line here and I'll definately give you a hand.

Good luck! --Eric Holt

John Clay wrote:
Hi All:

I've been away from LTSP for quite a while and have a few questions I'd like to
run by y'all:

1) Are there any particular reasons not to use Slack 10.0 as an LTSP foundation?
2) Is Evolution still freely available under the open source license or must it
be purchased?

If anyone can direct me to a discussion of the pros/cons of the various distros
I'd sure appreciate it. I started with RH 7.2, 7.3, then Slack 8 and much
prefered its init structure if I recall correctly. At any rate I liked it -
seemed sensible, straightforward. I recently loaded Mandrake 10 on this box as
a result of being being in a hurry, seduced by it's having a pretty brain dead
install and Evo., which it turns out I don't use. I don't think I am so keen on
it though I'd be hard pressed to give hard reasons since I haven't delved as
far into the files as I previously did.

Anyway, I'd sure be interested in your reactions.

Thanks
John Clay

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: IntelliVIEW -- Interactive Reporting Tool for open source databases. Create drag-&-drop reports. Save time by over 75%! Publish reports on the web. Export to DOC, XLS, RTF, etc. Download a FREE copy at http://www.intelliview.com/go/osdn_nl _____________________________________________________________________ Ltsp-discuss mailing list. To un-subscribe, or change prefs, goto: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/ltsp-discuss For additional LTSP help, try #ltsp channel on irc.freenode.net