Richard Bos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Monday, March 21, 2005 at 6:14 AM +0000
wrote:
>To be honest the subject has been discussed quite recently, but without a
>satisfying answer;
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ltsp-discuss&m=110764280732615&w=2
>
>I know that the client can just be switched off, but as ltsp is used in
>education (in my case), it is not very educational ;)
>
>Pupils should learn that a computer is to be shutdown nicely before it is
>powered down, isn't it?  Other wise they are going to power down all kind
>of
>OSes while they are still running.
>
>I used the 'ltspinfo -h ws001 --shutdown' from:
>http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/LtspinfoTips
>and this does the job quite nicely.
>
>Is it possible to have this shutdown command called from kdm when the
>shutdown
>button is selected on the client...?

I agree, but also disagree.  In many cases...with newer hardware and
OS's...the computer will shutdown itself after pushing the power button.
On my windoze boxes (XP pro) this is what I do....why?  Because it's
faster.  Same with my Mac's....especially my OS X laptop.  In fact I have
a couple machines running Ubuntu....same thing...push the power button and
down she goes (slowly and gently).  I think what you'll find is that as
time progresses....a year or two....this will be the norm and on the
whole...the "proper shutdown" thing will be a lost cause.  That's my $.02.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
[EMAIL PROTECTED]