Klaus-Peter Niedermann wrote:

I said in the first email:

"our LTSP (with LTSP Version 4.1.1) clients have two ethernet cards each."
"For High-Availability reasons, we want to use bonding with this clients now."
"Who has experience with LTSP and bonding on client side and can give us some hints?"

It is conceivable that in the instance of a nuclear power plant control
system or in a 911 emergency call center, etc that someone might want to
build in redundant Ethernet connections to the thin client.

In my experience, it is more likely that a network switch would fail to
service a port properly than for a NIC to fail, but perhaps having an
extra NIC would provide a workaround for a failing switch (especially if
there is also another switch).

Can we assume that the Ethernet connections would connect via different
switches?

Would they need the same IP address or different IP addresses?

I wonder if we could force the same MAC address to both of the cards.
This task could be left to the configuration utility for the network
card.   Hmmm.  So we would need some sort of trigger to sense the
failure and bring up the second card.

I can imagine a network socket application which would "heartbeat"
across the network about every half second if we skip a beat, the
terminal server side immediately issues an ARP request again to refresh
the the network switch's view of the new path to the alternate Ethernet
connection.  Meanwhile the client is bringing up eth1 using the same IP
that eth0 had (to save the time needed to issue a DHCP request.

Wow  this stuff gets deep.  I've a daemon (s2u) that watch for IP
address changes for boxes on DHCP connections that run  X-Windows
desktops.  On my Mandrake system it runs whenever I run an LTSP client
on GNOME.  Interestingly these s2u daemons never seem to die.  Maybe
that's why that user reported  gnome desktop applications popping up in
the wrong desktop.

-Joe Baker