I run a number of applications remotely over VPN from my home residence to a large institution with a large internal VPN. I haven't actuially tried LTSP but I would be confident it would just work. The VPN allows a network to be created in the one of the private network number ranges e.g. 192.x.x.x or 172.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x One way to set up a VPN is to interface your VPN network with an appropriate router (Cisco will be pleased to give you information). The VPN software from a remote site sets up a link with the private network through the router and from then on the IP ranges on the VPN may be referenced. Disparate remote sites may be joined in these IP ranges as though a single network.

The main reason for using a VPN is that the world is running out of IP numbers and it is a way to have many computers usingIPs in the private network ranges without taking up range space in the world IP domain.

If you have all your LTSP clients talking to a single central server then you will have to be using a VPN router at each site and the cost of this router might then be compared to having a local server (with VPN software) for each site. If you have a local server with LTSP clients running on the local server at each site there may not be an advantage having VPN software because inter user communication can take place between user accounts located on servers. The servers have to communicate with the world internet using world IP numbers.

David Numan wrote:

Hi,
Has anyone had experience running an LTSP client over a VPN connection?
I have a client with a main office using LTSP for about 8 workstations
and satellite office also running Linux. All locations currently have a
high speed DSL connection. This is a growing organization and will
likely have more satellite offices in the future.

We are currently looking into the benefits of implementing a VPN. If
LTSP is feasible over the VPN that would be a huge benefit and would
justify the cost. Is the compression on a VPN enough to make the X
session fast enough over DSL? Does anyone have any thoughts or
suggestions on implementing this (or advising against it)?

thanks!
dave